Dogs are known for eating things when they are not supposed to, especially when they are young as puppies and love to explore and chew around any likable thing in proximity. But few of the common human foods may prove fatal.
Like one of our favorites, ‘the Chocolate’, which is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains two toxic ingredients to your dog: caffeine and theobromine.
As humans, we can easily metabolize theobromine in controlled dosage, but canines such as dogs and cats, process it much slowly, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.
In other words, for a 70 kg adult human, you’d have to eat >7 kgs of dark chocolate to get close to lethal level. But a small dog will get sick and potentially die from just one bar of dark chocolate. Here’s a calculator which you can refer to:.
And not only chocolates but even grapes, raisins, coffee, caffeine, Xylitol (artificial sweetener), Onions, garlic, Alcohol, Macadamia nuts etc. falls into this category for them.
What should I do if my dog has eaten chocolate?
If you find out that somehow your dog ate chocolate, urgent treatment might be needed depending on the dosage. So do not panic and contact your vet (keep it on speed-dial) as soon as possible for advice.
Meanwhile check for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, increased body temperature, rapid breathing etc, which you can brief along with type of chocolate and its dosage.
Hence to be safe, it’s best not to give them any.